Monday, September 18, 2006

 

Changes

Long time, no update.

Things are begining to change here a lot. Our workplace has had a complete transformation, its scary. For one thing, they changed the name -- no longer are we working at Kang's English Academy, we're now working at IS. Apparently the letters sound good when translated into Korean? My bosses came up with the initials and I picked what the stood for. They didn't want the I to stand for "International", so I thought of Innovative Studies. Lame? I think so, but they ran with it.

What was hilarious was how fast they came up with everything. Honestly, they decided in one day to change the name, and then the next day they started getting up the new signs. They did EVERYTHING in that one day. Even the new logo, which is so unimaginative-- check it out: www.isenglish.co.kr

I offered the services of the 100 or so graphic designers I know, but once I mentioned they would need to be paid, the bosses were no longer interested. So yeah, thats what the ended with. Hot website, right? LOL. Neon green is in. I would help them, but I think I would just be creating a shitonne of work for myself.

So yeah, more changes -- My supervisor, Esther, who was the sweetest woman in the world, got fired. I think me and Tom had somehting to do with it. We told our recruiter that she was "really sweet". That got make to the director, and apparently sweet translates to silly or foolish. Oops. Basically the director didnt think she was hard enough on us, but she didnt need to be. I mean, we're big boys and we know what needs to be done -- we don't need someone bretahing down our necks and being a bitch. We were happy to do work for Esther becasue she was so nice and was doing a lot for us.

Anyhow, some douchebag took over for her and I'm not fond of him. First he questioned my athletic ability (this guy fell off a horse when we went horseback riding), told me he hated me in a song(jokingly?), and then yesterday told me I was insane. Why am I insane? Because I whistle. I didn't understand exactly what he was trying to say(his english is pretty broken), but whistling is for thieves and crazy people. This is bad for me, because I whislte whenever I'm in a good mood (which is almost always if you know me). So I guess I'll have to break the habit.

He also said we can't listen to our iPods at work anymore. Bleh, I knew it was too good to be true. But now these tedious jobs are going to be 100x more boring.

But thats enough about that. What else have we been up to?

Last weekend one of the bosses took us up to the country to visit his parents. There is a Korean tradition where once a year people go to their ancestors graves and the cut the grass around it. Pretty nice. Once the work is done, they kneel and pray and ask for good fortune. Then they get a glass of Soju(alcohol) and pour in on the grave. I have some pics:



Ok, Tommy has way better pics than these...hopefully he will upload them. Oh and we saw lots of wildlife. Salamaders, frogs, huge preying mantis', dogs, cats, goats, cows, and my favourite, a donkey. We actually both got to ride the donkey. OH, and we foced the salamader to fight the preying mantis. It was awesome... I think Tommy got a movie of it.

I HATE DONKEYS!


The weekend before that we were just hanging out outside our building after having dinner with some people from work. Then a bunch of korean guys starting talking to us (but they couldnt speak english). One thing led to another and we ended up going to a club with them. We didnt even get there until 2am, but it was packed. We had to wait like 1/2 hour to get in. I guess it was worth it, they place was really lively. These guys got some private room for us all (6 of us) which had kareoke and a bunch of drinks and food. Then the waiters starting bringing random girls in. It was hialrious. The girls would come in, this crazy korean guy we were with starting talkign to them and scaring them, and they would leave. Then the waiters would bring more girls and the process would repeat. Or who knows, maybe I was whistling.

So apparently this happens a lot -- you get a private room and the waiters try to hook you up with girls. Makes everything so much easeir if youre lookign to hook up. Anyways, the whole thing got annyoing and me and Tom went to the dancefloor and partied it up till about 6am. It was a decent night.

The weekned before that we went horseback riding at our bosses ranch. Actually, I dont think it was his ranch, but he did have a horse. Apparently horses cost about 100k USD. So we rode the horse and did a little ATVing. It was OK, but the after party was better. Since everyone was rich, we were drinking some GREAT wines and Johnny Walker blue label. The food was also delicious. Again, Tommy's got pics of everything so I am imploring him to post them.

Ok, hopefulyy it wont be so long before my next update. Check back soon. Oh and leave comments please, so I know people are reading this and Im not wasting my time.


Comments:
Hahahaha leave it to the Canadjians to fire the sweet Korean lady!! Looks like you guys are having a great time pimping it up with all the rich korean investors.. making me jealous! :) I always knew your crazy thieving ways was where you got your whistling from...
 
Are you sure they weren't trying to sell you hookers?
 
Yummm....i haven't even tasted the blue label yet...but since it's so expensive it MUST be wonderful. Also interesting to know u are fond of donkeys.
 
Great post... hillarious. I especially like the part about that lady being so sweet... or foolish as you put it. Keep up the good work!
 
Hey Johnny, hilarious blog! Karokee sounds like a serious match making buisness. Too bad you don't know how to speak fluent Korean. Ask Tommy to update his blog and upload some pics.
 
I'm too stupid to start a blog myself so I stick with those group emails . . . Don't mistake a lack of comments with whether or people visit your site; I being to lazy to write most of the time. Well Korea sounds awesome so far, but do post more pics, havent seen you dudes in a while and with the retarded times and running around Australia, hard to place myself infront of a computer sometimes. Glad to know all is going well and I frequent your blogs, keep em coming!

Craig
 
mmm Donkey loving on a mountain!!! Jealous!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?